Basic gluten-free doughnuts recipe:
Makes: 16 doughnuts
- 3 cups gluten-free plain flour
- ½ cup cornflour
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ½ cup gluten-free self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 180g butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1½ cups milk
- Cooking oil spray
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra
1. Combine sifted flours, yeast and sugar in a large bowl.
2. Beat eggs, butter, vanilla and 1 cup of the milk in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add remaining milk and the flour mixture, 1 cup at a time, beating until combined and smooth.
3. Spoon mixture into a large piping bag fitted with a plain 2cm piping tube.
4. Pipe mixture onto two oven trays lined with baking paper, into 7cm circles. Spray doughnuts with cooking oil spray. Cover with plastic wrap; stand in a warm place for 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
5. Heat oil in a large deep frying pan to 180°C (see notes). Using a pair of scissors, cut baking paper into squares around the doughnuts. Pick up the doughnuts with baking paper and gently place, one at a time, upside-down, into the hot oil. (The baking paper will fall off as the doughnut cooks; remove baking paper from oil with tongs.) Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from oil using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towel.
6. Toss the hot doughnuts in the combined cinnamon and extra sugar, or scroll down to discover four more delicious ideas for toppings!