- 6 teaspoon Orgran No Egg™ Egg Replacer
- 180 millilitre water
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- zest of 2 oranges
- zest of 2 lemons
- 60 millilitre canola or sunflower oil
- 4 cup ground almonds
- 6 large carrots, peeled, grated
- 225 gram cream cheese, at room temperature
- zest of 1 orange, plus a squeeze of juice
- 4 cup icing sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease two 20cm loose-bottom cake tins and line the bases.
- 2In a large bowl beat the No Egg™ Egg Replacer and water until well combined. Add the sugar, baking powder, mixed spice, zests and oil. Fold in the ground almonds.
- 3Mix in the grated carrot and spread mixture evenly into the prepared tins.
- 4Bake for about 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the tins then cool completely on a rack.
- 5Meanwhile, make the Orange cream cheese icing (see below). When the cakes are cool, spread half the icing on top of one cake, top with the second cake and spread the remaining frosting on top. Refrigerate until needed.
- 6Beat the cream cheese until soft and smooth. Add the orange zest and juice, then beat in the icing sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
• Too much orange juice will make a runny cream cheese frosting. If this happens, add more icing sugar to get the desired consistency. • You could serve this delicious cake as a dessert with an orange syrup and a dollop of mascarpone. You could also halve the recipe, making just one cake, which is then great for lunchboxes. • You can freeze the cake, un-iced, for up to 3 months.