Need to know:
- Low in calories, courgettes are a member of the squash family and are an extremely versatile vege. Grilled, sautéed, grated or baked, their mild flavour goes well with sweet and savoury seasonings.
- They have a high water content, so when using in fritters and baking, grate them and squeeze the excess water out in a clean tea towel.
- 'Courgetti' or 'zoodles' are noodles made from raw courgette using a spiraliser or julienne grater, and are a great low-carbohydrate alternative to pasta and noodles.
- Courgette flowers are also edible, traditionally stuffed with cheesy fillings, then lightly battered and fried.
- Make sure your courgettes are firm and shiny, and store them in the fridge. They'll keep for several days, but after three to four will become more bitter.