How to make red cabbage kimchi
Makes 3 cups
- 5 litres warm water
- 1 cup cooking salt
- 450g red cabbage, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced lengthways
- 4 spring onions, cut into 10cm lengths
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Asian chilli paste
- Combine the water and salt in a large bowl. Add cabbage, carrot and spring onions; stand for 1 hour or until cabbage leaves have softened.
- Drain. Rinse very well under cold running water to remove most of the brine; pat dry.
- Whisk vinegar, syrup, oil and chilli paste in a medium bowl until combined.
- Layer cabbage, carrot and onion in a 3-cup sterilised jar; pour in vinegar mixture to cover. Seal the jar. Refrigerate overnight before use.
Store bottled kimchi in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. With cabbage as a base, you can add a wide variety of your favourite crunchy vegetables.