Any of these recipes makes a fuss-free light meal for the whole family to enjoy. Add wine and friends for a great night in.
Double the topping and refrigerate half in an airtight container to spread on sandwiches or toast, or to eat with crudités; it will keep for up to 2 days.
An open-textured Italian bread or sourdough is ideal but any good-quality loaf or bread stick with a thick crust will do the trick.
1. Prosciutto, goat’s cheese & toasted honey nut bruschetta
- ¼ cup pistachios
- 2 Tbsp honey, plus extra for drizzling
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 1 small ciabatta loaf
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 slices prosciutto, halved
- 100g goat's cheese, sliced
- Seasonal fruit – raspberries, pear, apple, fig etc
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Heat pistachios in a small pan on medium heat until just toasted and fragrant then add honey and juice and simmer until sticky and caramelised. Transfer to baking paper and allow to set.
- Slice ciabatta, on a slight angle, into 1cm-thick slices and brush both sides with oil. Grill on both sides until golden.
- Layer each toast with half a slice of prosciutto, a slice of goat's cheese, then fresh seasonal fruit and the candied pistachios. Garnish with thyme leaves and drizzle with extra honey.
2. Roasted capsicum, anchovy & marinated feta bruschetta
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp each lemon zest and lemon juice
- Chilli flakes
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 Tbsp lemon-flavoured olive oil, plus extra for drizzling (optional)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 roasted red capsicum, peeled, thinly sliced
- 8 anchovy fillets
- Basil leaves
- In a bowl, toss feta with lemon juice and zest and season to taste with chilli flakes and cracked pepper. Set aside.
- Brush bread generously on both sides with the lemon oil then grill on both sides until golden. Cut garlic clove lengthwise and rub the cut sides over the top of each slice.
- Top each slice with roasted capsicum and an anchovy, and dot with the marinated feta and a few basil leaves. Drizzle with a little lemon oil if desired.
3. Black olive tapenade, tomato & mozzarella bruschetta
- 1 small French stick
- 2 Tbsp truffle oil
- 1 clove garlic, cut lengthwise
- 1 cup pitted black olives, finely chopped
- ½ small red onion, very finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 6 vine tomatoes, sliced
- 4 mozzarella balls, sliced
- Rosemary leaves
- Cut the French stick on an angle into 1cm-thick slices and brush both sides generously with truffle oil. Grill on both sides until golden. Rub the cut sides of the garlic over the top of each slice.
- For the tapenade, mix chopped olives with the diced red onion and garlic.
- Top toasted bread with a little tapenade then add a few slices of tomato and mozzarella, and sprinkle with rosemary. Grill for 2-3 minutes until mozzarella starts to soften and colour. Finish with a final dollop of tapenade.