Zucchini, feta and red onion tartlets
Zucchini and feta are a delicious combination, your Mum will love these on Mother's Day! Warm savoury treats always go down well, so make plenty or prepare ahead and freeze.
- 2.5 sheets ready-rolled short crust pastry
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large red onion, halved and finely sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 100 g feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Cut small circles from the pastry using a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, then line two 12-hole mini muffin trays with the pastry, pressing in to form nests. Chill trays until required.
- In a jug, beat the eggs and cream until smooth, then stir in the cheese, salt and zucchini.
- Fill each of the nests with the egg and zucchini mixture. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden and puffed. (Freeze at this stage, if desired.)
- For the red onion jam, heat the oil and add the onions. Cook gently for 4-5 minutes until softened, then add the vinegar and honey and simmer for 5-8 minutes until pink and syrupy.
- When ready to serve, heat in a hot oven for 5 minutes. Arrange on platters and top with a small slice or wedge of feta and a little red onion jam.