Winter potato and bacon gratin
This is one of the most delicious and popular potato dishes for a gathering. Bake more than is needed and bundle in tinfoil packs for guests to take home.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 200 g thinly sliced smoked bacon
- 800 g thinly sliced potatoes
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- milled pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Line the base of your chosen ovenproof pan or flan mould with a circle of greaseproof paper. Brush with soft butter.
- Cover the bottom and overlap the side with sliced bacon. Neatly and tightly fill with sliced potatoes and grated cheese. Season with pepper only, as the bacon provides the salt.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes at 200ºC. Remove from the oven and press down the potatoes with a wooden spoon. Reduce temperature to 180ºC and continue cooking, uncovered, a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when the potatoes are tender. Recover with tinfoil and leave to rest for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Carefully use the tip of a knife to edge away the bacon from the sides and turn out onto a plate.
- Cut into wedges or place the pan in the centre of the table for a visual feast for your guests.