Warm turkey, tomato and spinach salad
This warm salad is a great way to use up Christmas leftovers.
- 1 tbsp chopped sage
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 slices stale bread (or ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs)
- 2 rashers smoky bacon, chopped roughly
- 25 g butter (or 2 tbsp olive oil)
- 3 turkey drums
- 1 1/2 onions, peeled and roughly sliced
- 1 cup water (or ½ cup red or white wine mixed with ½ cup water)
- 1 tsp salt, plus extra for gravy
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, plus extra for gravy
- 1 bay eaf
- 1/2 tsp cornflour (optional)
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced thinly
- splash of red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- For the stuffing, put the herbs, seasoning and bread in a food processor. Pulse into crumbs, then add the bacon and butter. Pulse briefly to combine.
- To stuff the drums, ease the skin away from the more rounded, meaty side of the leg and stuff the breadcrumb mixture into the cavity.
- Spread the sliced onions on the base of a roasting dish, place the stuffed drums on top, stuffing side up.
- Pour water or wine into the dish, season drums with extra salt and pepper, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with a double layer of foil and bake for 1-1½ hours. Remove the foil and roast for a further 10-15 minutes until the turkey legs are golden.
- Remove and set aside to rest for 5 minutes before tearing the meat from the bones in rough chunks. Cover and set aside.
- For the gravy, place the roasting dish over a medium-high heat. Add water (or half water, half wine) to the pan juices. Add bay leaf, additional salt and pepper to taste, then simmer until it is reduced, scraping the onions and other good bits from the bottom of the roasting dish. Add cornflour to thicken the gravy, if desired. Simmer for at least 5 minutes, then serve in a warmed jug alongside the salad.
- For the salad, toss the spinach, tomato halves and shaved fennel together with a splash each of olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Lay salad out on a serving plate, top with turkey meat and clumps of stuffing.