Vegetarian lentil and chickpea burgers with tahini sauce
Burger night just got a whole lot more delicious! This vegetarian burger recipe sees patties packed with the goodness of chickpeas, lentils and brown rice, paired with salad and topped with creamy tahini sauce
Vegetarian lentil and chickpea burgers
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400 g can brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- 400 g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 4 hamburger buns, split in half
- 50 g baby spinach leaves
- 1 carrot, cut into ribbons
- 8 slices drained canned beetroot
- sumac to sprinkle
- 1/2 cup extra-light sour cream
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp warm water
- In a large frying pan, heat half the oil on medium. Sauté onion for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Cool slightly.
- In a food processor, place onion mixture, lentils, chickpeas, rice and pesto, then blend until almost smooth. Shape mixture into 4 patties, about 10cm in diameter. Lightly dust patties with flour.
- In a large, non-stick frying pan, heat remaining oil on medium. Cook patties for 2 minutes each side or until heated and golden.
- For the tahini sauce: In a bowl, whisk sour cream, tahini and water.
- Place burger bun bases on serving plates. Top with spinach, carrot, beetroot, a patty and a dollop of tahini sauce. Sprinkle with sumac. Top with remaining bread.