Vegetable ‘steaks’ with lemony hummus
Nici Wickes' barbecued cauliflower and broccoli recipe is so delicious that you’ll wonder why you never thought of serving these “steaks” before! Fear not if they get a little charred in places – it all adds to the smoky flavour
- 1 head broccoli, stalk trimmed
- 1 small-medium cauliflower, leaves discarded
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- up to ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- small handful parsley or coriander
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
- extra olive oil, for drizzling
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Sit the broccoli and cauliflower upright on a chopping board and cut into 3 cm-thick slices or “steaks”. Aim to get 3-4 slices from the broccoli and 4-5 slices from the cauliflower. They will remain held together at the base. Brush each with the oil and sprinkle with the cumin seeds and salt.
- Make the hummus by warming the chickpeas, then putting them in a food processor with the lemon juice, garlic and salt. Drizzle in the olive oil while processing to smooth. Taste and check for seasoning – add more lemon juice (acid) or salt, if needed. Set aside until required.
- Cook the vegetable steaks on a hot BBQ grill until charred in places, then flip and cook until just tender.
- Spread the hummus on a large plate, lay out the cooked veges, then sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds, toasted nuts, seeds and herbs. Drizzle with olive oil, then add the lemon wedges to serve.