Vanilla, mango and berry trifle
This showstopping vanilla, mango and berry trifle recipe is fantastic for any sweet summer occasion with family - especially Christmas! Creamy, delicious and easy, make sure you try it this sunny season
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 250 g raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 450 g vanilla bean custard
- 450 g mascarpone or thickened cream
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500 g store-bought sponge cake
- 2 punnets strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 2 peeled mangoes, flesh sliced into ½cm thickness
- For the raspberry coulis, place the sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a small pan set over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Add raspberries and lemon juice, simmering for 3 minutes. Transfer mixture to a food processor and purée. Sieve the purée and discard the seeds. Chill until cold.
- Place custard in a bowl and whisk with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes until pale and creamy. Add the cream and whisk until well combined.
- Combine orange juice, brandy and vanilla in a small bowl. Slice the sponge to fit the trifle dish and form 2 layers. Place one layer in the base of the dish.
- Sprinkle sponge with half the juice mixture. Spread over half the custard mixture. Top with half the strawberry and mango slices. Drizzle with a little coulis. Repeat layers, finally topping with custard mixture. Reserve remaining fruit and coulis to decorate. Cover bowl and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Decorate top with reserved berries and curls of mango.