Trifle wreath cake
This trifle cake is perfect for your Christmas day celebrations. In a fun wreath shape and topped with beautiful summer fruit and homemade custard, it couldn't get much more festive!
- 85 g packet strawberry jelly
- 460 g store-bought double round sponge cake
- 1/3 cup peach schnapps
- 1/2 cup thickened cream, whipped to stiff peaks
- 250 g strawberries, sliced
- 1 yellow peach, sliced
- small mint leaves, raspberries to serve
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp plain flour
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 15 g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare jelly following packet instructions. Pour into a bowl and chill overnight.
- To make the custard, bring milk to the boil in a medium saucepan. In a bowl, whisk flour, sugar and yolks. Beat in hot milk and butter. Transfer mixture to a clean saucepan and bring to boil. Cook for 3 minutes or until thick. Stir in vanilla. Transfer to a bowl and cover with cling film. Chill for 1 hour or until cold.
- Trim tops of cakes to level. Using a 6.5cm cutter, cut middle out of cakes. Brush cut cake parts with schnapps. Arrange 1 cake, cut-side up, on a board.
- Transfer cream and custard to separate piping bags fitted with fluted nozzles. Pipe cream and custard randomly over cake on board. Dollop with jelly. Arrange half the strawberries and peach over. Top with remaining cake, cut-side down.
- Decorate with remaining cream, custard, jelly and fruit. Serve topped with small mint leaves and raspberries. Dust with icing sugar, if you like.