Treacle tart, sugar recipe, brought to you by Woman's Day
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 150 g chilled, chopped butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp chilled water
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup warmed golden syrup
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup warmed treacle
- 1 juice and finely grated zest lemon
- cream or ice-cream, to serve
- In a food processor, pulse flour and butter together until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. with motor running, add egg and enough water for mixture to form a ball. Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place a 22cm round flan pan with removable base onto an oven tray. Roll out dough between 2 sheets baking paper until 3-4mm thick. Line flan pan with pastry, trimming edges. Chill 15 minutes.
- Blind-bake pastry 15 minutes. Remove paper and weights. Bake a further 5 minutes, until golden. Cool in pan. Reduce oven to moderate, 180°C.
- In a large jug, whisk eggs, syrup, breadcrumbs, treacle, juice and zest together. Carefully pour into case. Bake 20-25 minutes, until firm. Cool in pan 5 minutes.
Keep screen on while I cookDone! Your screen will stay awake for an hour or until you leave this page.
Keep your screen alive while you cook. No more shutting down mid-recipe. Your screen will stay on for an hour with no impact on your device settings.