This flavoursome, chunky tomato chutney is wonderfully fruity and delicious served with meatloaf, roast lamb or beef, or spread over cheese and ham sandwiches.
- 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 2 large red onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium pears, cored, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1.5 kg roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over moderately high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, 5 minutes, or until soft. Add pear and curry powder. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add tomato, sultanas, vinegar, sugar and salt; stir until well combined. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour 30 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Spoon hot chutney into hot sterilised jars. Seal hot. Serve or store.