Tomato and herb salad with crunchy croutons
Bound in a zingy green herb sauce and topped with crunchy croutons, Nici Wickes' tomato and herb salad recipe is fresh, fabulous and big on flavour
- small handful each of parsley and basil
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 cup good-quality olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- extra salt and citrus to season (see recipe tip)
- 2 cups stale gluten-free bread, cut into 2cm cubes
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 kg tomatoes – use as many varieties as you can find
- extra basil leaves, to garnish
- Blend all the herb sauce ingredients together, aside from the extra salt and lemon juice, then set aside for 15 minutes to settle – see recipe tip.
- To make the croutons, toss the cubed bread in a drizzle of olive oil, frying on medium heat until golden and crunchy. Sprinkle with salt.
- Cut the tomatoes into large bite-sized pieces – cherry toms can be halved and larger ones quartered or similar.
- Toss the chopped tomatoes in the green sauce and divide into bowls. Top with the croutons and basil leaves, then serve.