Italians know good food, combining mascarpone, coffee, kahlua, finger biscuits and cocoa powder to create this spongey, syrupy dessert.
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 3/4 cup (180ml) boiling water
- 1/2 cup (125ml) marsala
- 1/4 cup (60ml) kahlua (coffee liqueur)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 500 g mascarpone
- 2 tbsp marsala, extra
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar, extra
- 1/3 cup (80ml) thickened cream
- 375 g small sponge-finger biscuits
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder, approximately
- Combine instant coffee and boiling water in a shallow bowl. Stir in marsala and Kahlua.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (for about 4-5 minutes).
- Fold in the mascarpone and add the extra marsala into the egg yolk mixture until just combined.
- Beat egg whites and extra sugar in a clean, small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg white mixture into mascarpone mixture and then fold in the thickened cream.
- Dip half the biscuits, one at a time, for 1-2 seconds only, into coffee mixture and arrange biscuits in a single layer in a 2-litre (8-cup capacity) square or rectangular dish.
- Spread half the mascarpone mixture over the biscuits. Repeat with remaining biscuits and mascarpone mixture. Cover, refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving tiramisu, dust the top with sifted cocoa.