The Boat Shed Café’s ginger nut slice
The Boat Shed Café shares the recipe for their much-loved ginger nut slice. Recreate this café favourite and home and enjoy with a hot cup of tea or coffee
- 125 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 250 g sweetened condensed milk
- 250 g gingernut biscuits, finely crushed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricots
- 1 tbsp mixed peel
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- Lightly grease and line a 30cm x 20cm slice pan.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon, golden syrup and sweetened condensed milk in a pan. Heat over a low heat, stirring, until well mixed. Simmer gently for 5 minutes then set aside to cool.
- Combine the gingernuts, walnuts, coconut, apricots and mixed peel in a large bowl. Mix in the butter mixture in well. Press evenly into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top and press in. Cover and chill overnight. Cut into squares or bars to serve.
Photography by : David Zerilli