Thai pumpkin soup with coconut and lime
Packed full of vitamin C, the versatile pumpkin adds more than just colour to a dish. So try this delicious Thai pumpkin soup with coconut and lime for a comforting dinner during these cold winter months.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp sliced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp Thai green curry paste*
- 750 g roasted pumpkin, skin removed, roughly chopped or mashed
- 500 ml vegetable or chicken stock*
- 400 ml tin coconut cream
- zest 1 lime
- 2-3 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup sour cream (or coconut yoghurt for dairy free)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the shallot, ginger, garlic and curry paste for 2-3 minutes over a medium-low heat until soft and fragrant but not coloured.
- Add the pumpkin and stock and simmer for 10 minutes, then mash or blend to reach desired consistency.
- Add three-quarters of the coconut cream (reserve the rest for serving) and stir in half the lime zest and half the sliced kaffir lime leaves. Warm through but do not boil.
- Serve in bowls with a swirl of remaining coconut cream and garnish with remaining lime zest and kaffir leaves.