Summer vegetable bake with cheesy spinach topping
Set out a big dish of Nici Wickes' vegetable bake, along with some crusty bread and a green salad, and you’ve got a wonderful seasonal, vegetarian meal that’s as healthy as it is delicious!
- 4 medium-sized onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 - 8 courgettes, sliced into 2-3cm rounds
- 2 -3 red or yellow peppers, de-seeded and sliced
- 2 kg tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp each chopped fresh parsley and basil
- salt and pepper
- 20 leaves silverbeet, stalks removed
- 50 g butter
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs or torn up bread
- 2 tbsp flour
- small handful parsley
- 150 g feta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a large pan, gently cook the onions in enough olive oil to stop them sticking for 20 minutes or until dark brown, adding the chopped garlic halfway through. Transfer to a large oven-proof dish.
- Using the same pan (do not rinse or wash it), add a little more olive oil and cook the courgettes and peppers for 5-8 minutes. Add to the onions.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and add these along with the herbs. Season to taste.
- Pour some boiling water over the silverbeet to cover. Leave to stand for 10 minutes, then drain well.
- Process the drained silverbeet and remaining ingredients, except the Parmesan, until roughly combined.
- Spread the topping evenly over the vegetables and sprinkle over the Parmesan. Bake for 30-45 minutes until the topping is golden and crunchy.