Alexa Johnston bakes a dainty afternoon tea
- 250 g flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 150 g sugar
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 250 ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and butter one large or two small loaf tins and line the bases with baking paper. If you use food tins, butter them well and put circles of baking paper into the bases.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and mix through the sugar and sultanas.
- Combine the egg and the golden syrup in a small bowl and beat them together with a fork, then tip them into the dry ingredients with the milk and mix quickly.
- Spoon into the prepared tins and bake for about 25 minutes (or 1 hour for one large tin) until the loaves are well risen and golden brown.
- Cool briefly in the tins then turn out onto a rack to cool. Store airtight and serve thinly sliced and buttered.