This gorgeous stained-glass cake recipe creates a show-stopping dessert that's a must on Christmas Day! Enjoy with friends and family during the festive season or share as a beautiful gift
- 750 g whole glacé fruit
- 125 g unsalted butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup halved pecans
- 1/2 cup macadamias
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup water, plus 2 tablespoons extra
- Preheat oven to slow, 150°C. Grease and line a 19 x 9cm loaf pan with baking paper.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 500g fruit, butter, sugar and rum. Stir on low until melted and sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 4-5 minutes without stirring until thickened slightly. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda, then transfer mixture to a large bowl. Allow to cool.
- Sift flour and spice together. Fold into fruit mixture with the beaten eggs and nuts. Pour into a prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack, placed over a tray lined with baking paper, to cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water on low. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil on high. Boil, without stirring, for 8-10 minutes until golden. Remove from heat and, with pan facing away from you, add extra water (mixture will bubble). Swirl pan until incorporated. Working quickly, drizzle a little toffee over cake. Arrange the remaining whole glacé fruit on top. Drizzle over the remaining toffee. Allow to cool, then slice using a serrated knife.