Squaghetti bolognese bowls
Spag bol gets a delicious gluten-free makeover in this squaghetti recipe. The thin, noodle-like strings of spaghetti squash are the perfect pasta alternative that's perfect topped with bolognese sauce
- 3 small spaghetti squash, halved crossways and deseeded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- grated Parmesan cheese and parsley, to garnish (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 75 g bacon, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into small cubes
- 450 g beef mince
- 1 cup mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 600 g jar of passata
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Sprinkle salt over the cut sides of the squash and place upside-down on a cooling rack for 15 minutes to drain excess moisture.
- Make bolognese sauce (see below).
- When the squash have drained for 15 minutes, wipe out with paper towel, brush with oil and season with pepper. Bake, cut-side up for 40 minutes or until they give when gently squeezed.
- Use a fork to loosen the flesh into threads, mounding them in the shell. Spoon over the bolognese sauce and top with grated parmesan and parsley, if desired.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil and cook the onion, garlic, bacon and carrot until soft. Add the beef mince and cook until brown and crumbly. Stir in the mushrooms, and when soft pour in the wine and simmer until completely evaporated.
- Add the passata, season, and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until required.