SPQR's chicken fettuccine
This chicken fettuccine is extremely popular at Ponsonby institution SPQR. It’s the perfect indulgence – the richness comes from the cream, mushroom and leek
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 400 g free-range chicken breasts
- 200 g fettuccine (this recipe used rustichella d’abruzzo from sabato)
- 2 cups mixed shiitake and button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup finely sliced leek
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan powder
- 2 cups shredded spinach
- grated parmigiano-reggiano and micro greens or chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Put half the oil in a frying pan and bring to a high heat. Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally and fry for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Set aside and keep warm.
- Fill a large saucepan with water, add salt and bring to the boil. Cook fettuccine in boiling water, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large pan. Add mushrooms, leek and garlic and cook until soft. Stir in wine and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes to reduce sauce by half. Add cream and cook until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta and add to the sauce, stirring through until pasta is completely covered in sauce. Add parmesan powder and spinach, stirring in quickly. Season to taste.
- Portion pasta into large bowls. Slice chicken and place on top of the pasta. Garnish with grated parmigiano-reggiano and micro greens or chopped parsley.
This legendary Ponsonby restaurant has been a magnet for Auckland diners for more than 20 years. They serve a menu of fresh and simple Italian food in both traditional and contemporary styles, carefully coupled with obscure and interesting wines. The outdoor tables at SPQR are perhaps the most coveted long-lunching location in Auckland, where you can graze on pizza, pasta, risotto and seafood late into the afternoon and watch the Ponsonby strip come to life.
150 Ponsonby Rd, Auckland