Spiced toffee apple crumble slice
Searching for your new favourite slice recipe? Look no further than this spiced toffee apple crumble slice that's layered with all sorts of moreish goodies. Enjoy with a hot cuppa or share with the kiddies over a glass of milk
- 300 g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour, plus 1 tablespoon, extra
- 3 eating apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 1/2 can condensed milk
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 90 g butter
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 32cm x 18cm x 3cm slice tray, allowing the baking paper to hang over the sides by several centimetres.
- Melt 185g butter in a saucepan, remove from heat and stir in sugar, almonds and 1½ cups flour. Mix well and spread into tray. Compact, ensuring the edges are neat. Place tray onto a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, until light golden.
- Make crumble topping (see below).
- Place the chopped apples in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon flour and mixed spice.
- To make caramel, heat sugar, syrup, condensed milk and 115g butter in a saucepan and boil for 4 minutes, stirring.
- Reserve ¼ cup of the caramel and pour the remainder over the base. Add the spiced apples and the crumble. Drizzle with reserved caramel and top with walnuts. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Cool in tin before slicing.
- Combine all the ingredients in a processor and pulse to form a crumble, or rub together with your fingertips.
Photography by : Tony Nyberg