Spiced pumpkin pie
Perfect in both sweet and savoury dishes, pumpkin is simply divine, especially in this delicious spiced pumpkin pie that is brilliant served with crème fraîche, whipped cream or yoghurt.
- 1/2 block store-bought sweet shortcrust pastry
- 1 kg pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 10 g butter
- 2 eggs, plus 1 yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra for dusting
- crème fraîche, whipped cream or yoghurt, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Roll out the pastry and line an 18cm flan tin, pricking the base. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Place the pumpkin on a tray to bake, making sure it doesn't burn. Once cooked, transfer to a large bowl. Wipe the tray and return it to the oven to heat.
- Mash the pumpkin well, letting it steam off and cool for 5 minutes before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Place the cold pie shell on the hot tray. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until golden.
- Pour the filling into the flan case. Cover the pastry rim with foil so it doesn’t burn while baking.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until the filling is just a little wobbly in the centre when shaken gently.
- Serve with crème fraîche, whipped cream or yoghurt, dusted with a little cinnamon.