Spiced chickpeas, kumara and beef soup
This healthy spiced chickpeas, kumara and beef soup recipe is perfectly finished with an equally hearty bread and kale topping. Serve on chilly nights when you need a warming flavour hit
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 750 g beef chuck steak, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 500 g kumara, peeled, chopped
- 400 g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup parsley leaves, chopped
Bread and kale topping
- 75 g butter, chopped
- 200 g sourdough, torn
- 1/2 bunch kale, trimmed, leaves torn
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil on high. Sauté beef for 4-5 minutes until browned. Add onion, carrot, celery and spices. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes until golden.
- Stir in chicken stock. Bring to the boil and cook, covered, for 1 hour. Mix in kumara and chickpeas. Cook for 25-30 minutes until tender. Season.
- For the bread and kale topping: In a frying pan, melt butter on high. Fry bread, tossing, for 4-5 minutes until crunchy. Add kale and cook for 1-2 minutes until wilted. Season. Drain on a paper towel.
- Stir parsley through soup. Serve with bread topping.