Smoked fish, spinach and bechamel
Creamed spinach in a classic white sauce – comfort food at its best! Add smoked fish to this simple dish and it becomes an amazing taste sensation!
- 350 ml milk
- 25 g butter
- 25 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and milled pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- 500 g cleaned spinach, sliced from stems
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 250 g freshly smoked fish, flaked
- 4 poached eggs
- 4 lemon wedges
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan. In a separate saucepan, melt the butter before stirring in the plain flour. Cook over a gentle heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cumin and grated cheese, and cook for 1 minute more before removing to cool.
- Add around 1/4 of the hot milk and beat into a thick paste. Add another 1/4 and repeat beating until you have a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and gently cook for 10 minutes, then season.
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the spinach and sugar and finally season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and quickly cook to wilt the spinach for 2 to 4 minutes. When wilted, drain off the excess water and stir into the hot white sauce (béchamel). Stir in half the flaked smoked fish.
- Divide the spinach onto four plates, sprinkle with the remaining smoked fish, top with seasoned poached eggs and serve with a wedge of fresh lemon.
Keep screen on while I cookDone! Your screen will stay awake for an hour or until you leave this page.
Keep your screen alive while you cook. No more shutting down mid-recipe. Your screen will stay on for an hour with no impact on your device settings.