Smashed new potatoes with garlic, parmesan and bacon
Baby spuds are taken to a whole new level in this smashed potato recipe. New potatoes are roasted to golden perfection with garlic butter, parmesan and bacon to create a crowd-pleasing side dish
- 1 kg new potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- olive oil spray
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onion
- 2 rashers bacon, cooked and chopped
- Place potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Bring to the boil; cook, covered for 15-20 minutes or until just tender when pricked with a fork. Drain.
- Combine the butter and garlic and set aside.
- Arrange the potatoes on a greased baking sheet. Gently press the top of each with a potato masher so they are slightly flattened, then drizzle a little of the garlic butter mixture over each potato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, lightly spray with olive oil, then top with a sprinkle of grated parmesan.
- Grill under a medium heat until they are golden and crispy – about 10 minutes. Add a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with chopped spring onion and bacon. Season with salt and pepper and serve.