Skillet chilli with cornbread topping
Flavoursome skillet chilli is very simple to get your Mexican fix! Top it with cornbread topping for extra goodness.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped in small pieces
- 1/2 red capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 green capsicum, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp ground chilli
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups Campbell’s Real Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 400g can chilli beans in sauce
- 1/2 can whole kernel corn, drained - optional
Cornbread cobbler topping
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal or instant polenta
- 80 g butter
- 200 ml milk soured with a drop of lemon juice
- a pinch of salt
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or oven proof pan. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and capsicums and cook gently until tender.
- Stir in the mushrooms, and cook for 3-5 minutes until soft then add the chili, cumin and oregano.
- Stir in the stock, tomato paste, chilli beans in sauce and corn if using.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Make the topping. Pulse the flour, corn meal and butter with a pinch of salt in a processor. Add sufficient milk to make a soft dough. Form into 7-8 balls and arrange around the edge of the dish leaving the centre open. Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes or until risen and cooked.