Seafood platter, fish and seafood recipe, brought to you by recipes+
- 1/3 cup egg mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- vegetable or rice bran oil, to deep-fry
- 750 g kumara, peeled, cut lengthwise into thick chips
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 300 ml cold soda water
- 500 g firm white fish fillets, cut into 3cm strips
- 1 large (250g) cleaned squid tube, cut into 1cm rings
- mixed salad and lemon wedges, to serve
- Make aioli by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl. Preheat oven to 150°C (180°C fan-forced). Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over moderate heat (oil is ready when a cube of bread crisps quickly without absorbing oil). Deep-fry kumara, in small batches, for 3 minutes or until just starting to colour around the edges. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to one of the prepared trays. Place in oven to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, sift flour into a medium bowl: make a well at the centre. Add soda water; stir until smooth.
- Reheat oil in pan over moderately high heat. Dip fish strips, one by one, into batter. Deep-fry fish, 4-5 pieces at a time, for 3-4 minutes or until golden and cooked. Place on remaining tray. Place in oven to keep warm.
- Dip squid into remaining batter. Deep-fry squid, 3-4 pieces at a time, for 2 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve seafood with kumara, aioli, salad and lemon wedges.