Salted caramel baked apples
Nici Wickes' salted caramel baked apples recipe is as delicious as it is economical. Big pieces of walnuts and sweet red apple combine to create an indulgent dessert that's perfect served with sour cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 25 g butter, melted
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3-4 apples, halved through waist and cored
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- sour cream, yoghurt, whipped cream or ice cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In an oven dish, place the sugar, butter, water and salt, stirring to mix.
- Set the apples in the dish, cut-side up. Scatter the walnuts over. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove the foil and baste the apples with the syrup and cook for a further 20-30 minutes uncovered until apples are soft and the caramel lovely and syrupy. If you need to cook a bit longer do, but only until apples are soft, not mushy.
- While still hot, dollop on some sour cream, which offsets the sweetness beautifully, stirring some into the syrup.