Roasted pear and blue cheese scones
Nici Wickes' roasted pear and blue cheese scones recipe is insanely easy to make and the flavour is wonderful, with little bursts of sweetness from the pears and tanginess from blue cheese
- 3 firm pears (Nici used Honey Belle), cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 85 g cold butter, grated
- 75 g strong blue cheese
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup milk
- milk, for brushing tops
- Heat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and scatter on the cubes of pear. Roast until dry to the touch and browned underneath – about 15-20 minutes. Slide the paper with the pear onto a cooling rack and cool to lukewarm. Remove the pear and reuse the baking paper. Turn it clean-side up onto the tray ready for scones.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingertips. Add the blue cheese, pear chunks, cream and ¼ cup milk. Mix the dough using a butter knife until you have a soft, slightly sticky dough. If it looks too dry, drizzle in some more of milk. Don’t overmix.
- Dust the bench well with flour. Pat out dough into a 15cm round and transfer to lined baking tray. Cut into 6 generous wedges, then separate wedges slightly to allow for rising and spreading. Brush each scone lightly with milk.
- Bake scones until firm and golden – about 30 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.