Roast tray-baked chicken with winter vegetables
This succulent tray-baked chicken recipe is exceptional served with tender winter veges and enjoyed for a flavoursome weeknight family meal. It's also an economical way to enjoy a whole chook!
- 1 jointed chicken (see recipe tips)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 golden kumara
- 2 Agria potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 2 garlic bulbs
- 1 red onion
- Pre-heat oven to 180oC. Line a large roasting tray with baking paper.
- Combine the oil, rosemary and salt and mix well. Use half the flavoured oil to rub all over the chicken pieces. Arrange on the lined tray in a single layer. Cut the kumara and potatoes into bite-sized pieces, peel and cut the carrots and parsnip into medium sticks, chop the ends off the garlic bulb and peel and cut the onion into wedges. Brush the vegetables with the remaining oil and dot them around the chicken pieces. Roast for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken is golden and cooked through and vegetables tender.
- Serve with instant roast chicken gravy or make a quick chicken sauce. Combine 1 cup chicken stock, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon tomato sauce and 2 teaspoons cornflour and simmer for 5 minutes until thickened and glossy. Season with salt and pepper and chopped parsley.