Roast carrot hummus with vegetable crudités
Adding roasted carrot to hummus brings a delightful natural sweetness to this well-loved dip recipe. Serve with vegetable crudités for a fresh summer snack. Created by Emma Galloway for Taste magazine
- 2 large carrots, peeled and ends trimmed
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds
- olive oil
- fine sea salt
- 400 g tin chickpeas or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp tahini (check label if eating gluten-free)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 to 4 tablespoons warm water
- baby vegetables, to serve (this recipe used radishes, beans, carrots and cucumber)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Slice carrots into bite-sized pieces and transfer to an oven tray.
- Scatter over cumin seeds, drizzle with a little olive oil and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well and roast for 25-30 minutes, turning once or twice during cooking, until carrot is tender and just starting to colour. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Drain tinned chickpeas and rinse well. Place garlic in a food processor or blender and pulse to finely chop before adding drained chickpeas, roast carrot, tahini, lemon juice and 2 Tbsp of warm water. Blend, adding more water as needed, to form a lovely smooth hummus.
- Season well with fine sea salt and serve with vegetable crudités to dip. The hummus can be prepared ahead of time and stored in a covered container or jar in the fridge for three or four days.
For more recipes, tips and inspiration from Emma Galloway, check out her blog mydarlinglemonthyme.com