Rich Christmas pudding with frosted cherries
This rich Christmas pudding recipe is a deliciously decadent way to celebrate Christmas with loved ones. Top with 'frosted' cherries for a real festive feel
- 1 2/3 cups currants
- 1 1/2 cups sultanas
- 1 1/2 cups raisins, chopped
- 1/3 cup mixed peel
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 250 g butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest, finely grated
- 1 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, chopped
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- sifted icing sugar, fresh cherries to serve
- In a large bowl, combine all fruit, peel and rum. Set aside, covered, overnight.
- Lightly grease a six-cup pudding basin. Line base with a circle of baking paper.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and citrus zest together until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one. Stir in fruit mixture and almonds.
- Sift flour with salt, spices and baking soda. Fold into fruit mixture with breadcrumbs. Spoon into basin. Cover with a circle of baking paper, foil and a pudding cloth. Secure firmly with string.
- Steam pudding in a large saucepan of boiling water on medium heat, covered, for 4 hours. Add more boiling water to keep level halfway up side of basin. Remove, cool and store in fridge.
- To serve, steam pudding using same method for 2 hours. Remove from pudding basin. Serve dusted with icing sugar and topped with cherries.