Raw slaw with poached chicken
There's no excuse for boring lunches with this raw slaw recipe up your sleeve. Combining the beautiful colours of raw veges with the beautiful tenderness of poached chicken, it's healthy and delish.
- 400 g chicken breasts, halved horizontally
- 3 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, toasted
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced (see tip), fronds and stalks reserved
- 1/2 cup tri-coloured quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 150 g celeriac, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1 bunch mixed baby carrots, thinly sliced (see tip)
- 1 firm pear, unpeeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp currants
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- Place chicken, stock, 1 teaspoon fennel seeds and fennel stalks in a medium saucepan, bringing to a simmer. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Using tongs, carefully transfer chicken to a plate or tray and leave to cool slightly. Reserve ¼ cup strained poaching liquid, then discard remaining liquid and solids.
- Cook quinoa following packet directions. Cool.
- For the dressing, place all the ingredients, including reserved poaching liquid,in a screwtop jar. Shake well. Season to taste.
- Place quinoa, fennel, cabbage, celeriac, carrot, pear, remaining fennel seeds and reserved fennel fronds in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing.
- Slice chicken and add to salad. Sprinkle with walnuts to serve.