Rainbow tomato tart
Pretty as a picture and tasting like a dream, Nici Wickes' rainbow tomato tart recipe is also super-simple to prepare. Perfect for taking full advantage of the wonderful range of tomatoes on the market and in the garden
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, plus 1 tbsp milk, mixed for egg wash
- 2 handfuls basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 100 g goat’s feta
- 75 g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 - 12 medium tomatoes (use red and yellow), sliced (or use 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved)
- sea salt and ground pepper, to season
- fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Dust an oven tray with flour or line with baking paper.
- Cut a 25cm circle out from the sheet of pre-rolled pastry. Transfer it to the prepared oven tray. Take a dinner plate slightly smaller than the circle and place it on the pastry, pressing it slightly to indent, and lightly score around the plate edge with a knife so you have a 2cm border. Remove the plate and prick inside the border a few times with a fork. Brush the pastry border with the egg wash. Set aside.
- Make the pesto by blending all of the filling ingredients together in a food processor or blender until smooth. Spread this mixture over the inner circle of the pastry, avoiding getting any on the border. Arrange the tomato slices to cover the filling. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the border is puffed up and golden brown, and the pastry is cooked on the bottom.
- Serve warm or cold garnished with fresh basil leaves.