Prawn cocktail with Marie Rose sauce
This prawn cocktail recipe makes a perfect gourmet starter when you feel like doing something a little bit retro and fancy. The homemade Marie Rose sauce is sure to be a hit
- 300 g frozen raw prawn cutlets, defrosted
- 2 frozen whole banana prawns, defrosted
- 1/3 cup finely sliced iceberg or crunchy lettuce
- 1/2 small avocado, peeled and cubed
- 2 slices red chilli
- 1 tsp snipped chives
Marie Rose sauce
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise (use low fat for diabetes friendly)
- 1 tbsp cream
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp hot sauce e.g. tabasco
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Bring a pot of water to a light boil and drop in the prawn cutlets. Cook for about 3 minutes until they change colour. Drain and refresh. Repeat with the banana prawns, cooking for about 4 minutes until pink and just cooked through. Drain and refresh. Cool slightly and remove the heads.
- To make the Marie Rose sauce, combine the mayo, cream, lemon juice, tomato paste, hot sauce and salt in a small bowl.
- Divide the lettuce between two martini-style glasses and top with the avocado, then about 8 prawn cutlets per glass. Spoon over the sauce and garnish with chilli and chives. Hook a banana prawn onto the side of each glass. Chill for 20 minutes before serving.