Potato and feta tart with herb pastry
This potato and feta tart recipe features a homemade rosemary, thyme and parsley pastry that delivers a full-on flavour kick. A great vegetarian dinner for the whole family
Potato and feta tart
- 3/4 cup thickened cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250 g feta, crumbled
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 600 g potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced char-grilled capsicum
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves picked
- mixed salad leaves to serve
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour
- 100 g butter, chopped
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked, finely chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs, leaves picked, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley, plus extra to serve
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp iced water
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease an 18 x 28cm, 3cm-deep loose-based flan dish.
- For the herb pastry, sift flour into a large bowl. Rub butter into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in grated parmesan, herbs, egg yolk and enough cold water to bring dough together. Season. Form into a ball, then wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper to 3mm thick. Ease into pan, then chill for 20 minutes. Trim edges and bake blind for 20 minutes. Remove paper and weights, then bake for 5 minutes. Reduce oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl, lightly whisk cream, eggs, parmesan and garlic together. Stir half the feta through. Season, then pour into pastry case. Bake for 15 minutes until just set.
- In a frying pan, heat oil on high. In batches, fry potato slices for 3 minutes on each side until crispy. Drain on a paper towel. Layer potato slices, char-grilled capsicum, rosemary and remaining feta in tart case. Bake for 8-10 minutes until potato slices are crunchy.
- Serve tart topped with extra fresh herbs and accompany with salad leaves.