Portuguese chicken burger
Featuring mouthwatering piri piri sauce, this budget-friendly Portuguese chicken burger packs a flavour punch
- 4 large chicken thigh fillets
- 1/3 cup piri piri sauce
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 beetroot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup aioli
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 4 burger buns, halved
- 4 slices mozzarella
- lettuce leaves, oven-baked chips to serve
- In a bowl, combine chicken and sauce. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat vinegar, water, sugar and mustards on high, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Place zucchini and beetroot in separate heat-proof bowls. Divide hot liquid between them. Chill for 15 minutes.
- In a small jug, combine aioli and parsley, then keep chilled until ready to serve.
- Preheat a char-grill pan on medium. Char-grill halved burger buns for 1 minute until grill marks appear. Set aside.
- Char-grill chicken for 3-4 minutes each side until cooked through. Place cheese slices on top of each, then cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Spread herb aioli over buns and assemble burger with lettuce and pickled vegetables. Serve with chips.