Pork, mushroom and sage lasagne
The ultimate comfort food, this pork, mushroom and sage lasagne is so good it could turn any bad day around. Full of flavour and the delicious combo of cheese, pasta and mince, say hello to your new favourite dish.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 chorizo sausage, finely chopped
- 350 g pork mince
- 350 g veal or beef mince
- 1/2 cup marsala
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 6 large sheets dried lasagne
- 3/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 12 sage leaves, torn, plus extra, to serve
- 20 g dried mushrooms
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 15 g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 185 g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp coarsely shredded sage
- salt and black pepper
- 60 g butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1.25 L milk, hot
- Make Mushroom mixture and White sauce (see below).
- Reserve a third of the White sauce; combine remaining sauce with Mushroom mixture.
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat; cook onion, garlic and chorizo, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add minces to pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add marsala, stock and reserved dried mushroom liquid (from Mushroom mixture); bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by a third.
- Grease a 2-litre ovenproof dish. Place 2 lasagne sheets in the base of dish. Top with half the mince mixture, then half the Mushroom mixture; sprinkle with ¼ cup of the parmesan. Repeat layering, finishing with remaining 2 pasta sheets. Spread with white sauce; top with sage and remaining parmesan.
- Bake lasagne, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Stand for 5 minutes before serving, topped with some extra sage leaves.
- Combine dried mushrooms with the boiling water in a medium heatproof bowl; stand for 5 minutes. Drain, reserve liquid (for meat mixture); finely chop dried mushrooms. Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium heat, add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until onion is soft. Add dried mushrooms and button mushrooms; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mushrooms are browned. Add sage; season to taste.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over high heat, add flour; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles. Gradually stir in milk and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Simmer, stirring, for 2 minutes; season to taste.