Pikelets with jam and cream
Classic pikelets that take just minutes to prepare are irresistible when topped with jam and cream.
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 30 g melted, for brushing butter
- jam, whipped cream, to serve
- Sift flour and soda together into a medium bowl. Stir in sugar. Make a well in centre. Gradually stir in egg and enough milk for a smooth, pouring consistency. Rest batter for 15 minutes.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Brush with butter. Working in 3 batches of 6, drop tablespoons of batter into pan, allowing room for spreading. Cook 1-2 minutes, until bubbles appear on surface. Turn and cook 1 minute further, until golden. Brush pan with butter between batches.
- Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm with jam and cream.