Panzanella salad, capsicum recipe, brought to you by Madison
- 1/2 loaf, day-old ciabattaa bread
- 2 red capsicums
- 6 ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup salted baby capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, torn if large
- 1/2 cup (40g) parmesan shavings
- 8 slices prosciutto, to serve
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- kalamata olives, to serve
- Cut bread into 2.5cm-thick slices then tear each slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the capsicum under a hot grill or directly over a naked flame to blacken the skin all over. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Leave for 10 minutes to sweat.
- Remove and peel away capsicum skin and seeds under cold running water. Pat the capsicum flesh dry and dice into large pieces.
- In a large bowl, place the torn bread, capsicum, tomatoes, capers, basil leaves and parmesan shavings.
- To make dressing: combine garlic, vinegar and olive oil in a small jug. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Pour dressing over bread and vegetable bowl; toss well. Leave to sit for 10 minutes.
- To serve, place the panzanella on to a large serving platter with the prosciutto and olives.