Nici Wickes makes oysters go a long way with these puffy little fritters! This oyster puffs recipe is perfect for entertaining. Serve sprinkled with parsley alongside lemon slices and plenty of mayo
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 pottle oysters (about 12-20 small oysters), drained and 1 tbsp juice reserved
- enough cooking oil for 4-5cm in a small saucepan
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- parsley, to garnish
- lemon slices, to serve
- Mix the flour, lemon zest and sea salt with the reserved oyster juice and enough cold water to make a mixture like double-thickened cream. Set aside for 1-2 hours to rest.
- When ready to cook, use a small saucepan (you won’t have to use so much oil) and heat the oil to medium hot. It is ready when a few drops of the batter dropped in sizzle immediately and float to the top.
- Using tongs, dip each oyster (or two if very small) into the batter, then into the oil to fry until golden brown. Cook a few at a time but don’t crowd the saucepan. Drain on paper towels.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the lemon juice in a small serving bowl.
- Serve the hot oyster puffs sprinkled with the parsley, plus slices of lemon and mayonnaise.