One-pot hearty lamb, bean and vegetable soup
Nadia Lim's easy-peasy lamb and vegetable soup recipe is a dairy and gluten-free one-pot meal you can cook over the campfire or on the camping stove. It’ll keep everyone warm and toasty from the inside out
- oil, for cooking
- 300-400g diced lamb (about 1.5cm dice)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes (choose one containing herbs if you can)
- 3 cups vegetable stock*
- 150 g green beans, sliced into 1-2cm lengths
- 400 g can mixed or cannellini beans
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chopped spinach (optional)
- buttered bread rolls, to serve (omit if eating gluten or dairy-free)
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pot on the camping stove on a high heat. Season lamb with salt and brown for about 5 minutes until evenly coloured (you may need to reduce the heat depending on the thickness of your camping pot).
- Reduce heat to medium, add onion and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 8-10 minutes until starting to reduce.
- Add green beans, canned beans and carrots and cook for about 8 minutes until veges are tender and soup has thickened. Remove from heat and stir through chopped spinach, if using. Serve with buttered bread rolls.