No-bake banoffee slice (gluten-free and dairy-free)
The mash-up of caramel, chocolate and banana in Nici Wickes' banoffee slice recipe is simply irresistible! It's also gluten, dairy and refined sugar-free, making it perfect for just about everyone
- 1 cup nuts and seeds – Nici used almonds, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup dates, soaked, drained and pulped
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 heaped tbsp honey
- 1 cup cashew nuts, soaked for at least 1 hour in warm water
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g dark chocolate (minimum 60% cocoa solids), chopped
- 1/2 cup dried banana chips, chopped
- Line a 20cm x 20cm tin with baking paper.
- For the base, mix the nuts and seeds in a food processor until chopped semi-fine. Add the coconut oil, honey and dates. Process until you can pinch a small amount between your fingers and it clumps together. Transfer to the tin and press into an even layer. Chill in the fridge while you make the topping.
- For the topping, simmer the coconut milk and honey in a small saucepan for about 15 minutes or until it thickens and darkens to a caramel. While this cooks, blend the drained cashew nuts with enough water (between ¼-½ cup) to make a thick cream. Add the coconut oil, coconut cream, honey and vanilla, then blend until smooth. Spoon the topping over the chilled base. Sprinkle over the chocolate and banana chips.
- Drizzle with the cooled caramel. Chill for 30 minutes, then slice into small squares.