Make yourself toasty warm with this thick, creamy mushroom soup, infused with garlic and olive oil.
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 750 g button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 4 cups (1l) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup (60ml) thickened cream
- Heat butter and oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring, until soft but not coloured.
- Add mushrooms; cook, stirring, over high heat for about 10 minutes or until soft and browned. The mushrooms will first absorb the oil, then give off juices that will eventually evaporate and the mushrooms will start to brown. This is the point that you want to reach before proceeding.
- Stir in flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in stock; stir until mixture boils and thickens. Simmer, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Remove from heat; stir in the cream.
- Serve soup in warmed bowls with snipped chives and good sourdough toast, if desired.