Mushroom ragout and pumpkin
Nutrient-rich mushrooms are a staple in the autumn and winter months, so try Nici's mushroom ragout and pumpkin recipe for a deliciously comforting weeknight meal.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g butternut pumpkin, cut into thick rounds
- 75 g butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 100 g fresh oyster/phoenix tail mushrooms, sliced
- 150 g fresh exotic/assorted medley mushrooms mix (available in supermarkets)
- 100 g portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 1 tbsp rosemary springs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt and ground black pepper
- Brush oil onto the pumpkin and roast until cooked through.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-based pan. Sauté the onions gently until softened. Increase the heat, add the mushrooms, garlic and smoked paprika, cooking until golden. Pour in the white wine and simmer until the wine is nearly evaporated. Add the cream and rosemary, then simmer until the sauce thickens a bit. Taste the mixture, then season as you like.
- Serve the pumpkin draped with spoonfuls of ragout.