Mushroom pepper steak sauce
Here, Nici Wickes has combined mushroom and pepper in this delicious mushroom pepper steak sauce recipe that is perfect enjoyed for a tasty midweek meal.
- 2 sirloin steaks
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 140 g button mushrooms, stalks removed
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp green peppercorns
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 3 tbsp white wine
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- sea salt flakes and ground black pepper
- flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Bring the 2 steaks to room temperature. Oil both sides and cook in a hot pan on one side until blood appears on the upper side, then flip and cook for 2-3 minutes more until the meat is cooked to medium rare. Remove from the pan, then rest.
- Melt butter in the pan juices over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, capers, peppercorns and garlic, then cook until the mushrooms are lightly browned. Splash in the wine and simmer for 1 minute. Stir in the crème fraîche, then cook until it melts and bubbles. Taste the sauce, seasoning to taste, then serve on top of the steaks along with the parsley.