Mushroom and lemon thyme pasta with burnt butter
This comforting and tasty mushroom and lemon thyme pasta is a brilliant way to showcase mushrooms. Serve topped with fried mushrooms, parmesan and reserved thyme for the perfect weeknight dinner.
- 500 g casarecce pasta (or pasta spirals)
- 600 g mixed mushrooms (see recipe tip)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan
- salt and pepper
- 150 g butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water until almost tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking water.
- Thickly slice large mushrooms (king browns and Swiss browns). Tear oyster mushrooms in half and separate enoki mushrooms into smaller clusters. Cut garlic into thin slices.
- Heat butter in same saucepan over medium heat. Cook garlic for 1 minute. Add Swiss brown mushrooms and season. Cook for 5 minutes or until mushrooms soften. Add reserved cooking water, bringing to the boil. Stir in all but 1 teaspoon lemon thyme and pasta. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Cook remaining mushrooms for 4 minutes or until golden.
- Stir three-quarters of the parmesan into pasta. Divide pasta among bowls. Serve topped with fried mushrooms, remaining parmesan and reserved thyme.